Back in the day, men have solely relied on axes to help them chop materials. That is why even today, when the world is greatly influenced by modernization, the ax still proves to be one of the most valuable tools you should have, especially during camping. When it comes to chopping and cutting wood, there is no easy way than to use the ax. But how do you choose the best camping axe for you? Let’s go ahead and find out.
The Best Camping Axe
Just like your other must-haves that you will be taking on your next camping trip, nothing is the same when it comes to your axe. So what are the things that you need to consider when choosing an axe?
- Consider what you will be using the axe for.
- You also need to know how long will you be on your camping trip.
- And how long will you be carrying the axe with you.
Each of these needs to be considered. Your axe needs to be able to do any task easier. However, you would also want the axe to be not too big and heavy. If you are going to be walking around most of the time, then a heavy and big axe can definitely slow you down.
When it comes to chopping firewood and making traps for hunting, you need a smaller axe that you can easily carry around with you in your backpack. But if you want to create your own shelter and spend a couple of days in the wilderness, then you will need something bigger when it comes to blade length and handles.
How To Choose A Camping Axe
Choosing your first camping axe is not going to be easy. You need to know what you are looking for in order to get the best one in the market. There are two things that you need to check – the blade and the handle.
- The blade of the axe should not only be sharp enough to split wood, but you should be able to chop with it. Ideally, the axe’s blade should be made of metal so that you can easily sharpen it.
- Another thing to consider is the handle. You have to make sure that you have a good grip with the axe, especially when you will be chopping the wood with it. A handle should not slip your hands. It should have a good weight too.
Why Use Camping Axes?
When camping, having an axe with you can give you endless benefits. While in the middle of the wilderness, you need to keep yourself warm by building a bonfire, cook your food, and even set up traps. And all of this can be made possible if you have a tool that can help you chop wood, both large and small pieces. And without a heavy-bladed tool, this will be impossible.
If you know how to take care of your axe by keeping it stored properly when not in use and making sure that the blade is sharp, this tool can last you for a long time. With an axe, it takes away the need for other tools. Yes, you can camp out without an axe, but if you want to really enjoy the outdoors by being able to do anything in the wild, then you need to go back to the basics – you need your good axe with you!